Aug 4, 2010

The name says it all.

Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come: A Chimerical Bombination in 12 Bursts

Download.

I'll never forget the first time I listened to this CD: It was a lazy weekday afternoon sitting in the back of my 6th period Geometry class. I'm about to doze off like I usually do, but on this particular day my friend offers me his Discman assuring me I'll be pleasantly surprised. He was right about the surprised part, but I'd say I was more confused than anything. Among what had to be one of the heaviest records I'd heard at the time was thrown in techno and jazz interludes, and even a fucking violin. Then there was a point where I wasn't even sure if it was a studio album or a live recording.
Refused were a hardcore punk band from UmeƄ, Sweden, formed in 1991. The group disbanded in 1998, only a couple months after this album-the most important record in modern hardcore-was released. Bold statement and I'm sure plenty will disagree but in 1998 the hardcore scene was muscular jock types on Victory records. These bands never accepted Refused because of their "pretentiousness," and yet the punk scene never accepted Refused because they were too abrasive. And so emerges The Shape Of Punk To Come: an over the top chimerical bombation aiming to shake the hardcore punk scene to its very foundation in hopes of eliminating its complacency within mainstream culture. Twelve years later this has become an essential listen to anyone interested in extreme music.
The classics may go out of style but this one is timeless.

1 comment:

meagan said...

oh god i love this album. it's a classic!